Posted: 6/28/2011 6:53:56 PM
Notice - if you have out-of-state company (or other interested parties) and wish to have a Society member open the room for your viewing, feel free to contact a member or express your wish at the Community Center office. We are always ready to share the Museum memorabilia. Thank you for your interest.
Posted: 2/16/2011 6:03:23 PM
We are pleased to have new items brought into the Heritage Museum.
(1) Charlie Fletchall's barber chair and other items from his shop is now in our museum room. Charlie started barbering in Grimes in 1937 on Main St. Chaarlie served in the Military. Charlie & Bernice developed the Mobile Home Park on S. Ewing St. All the barber items were donated by his nephew Rick Vaughn. More information posted at the Barber Center in the Heritage Room.
(2) M Bernard Little page participated in many Iowa Parades and sanctioned horse shows in the l950's. Bernard worked for Al Richardson's livestock yard here in Grimes. He worc custom made paradee outfits on his Palamino horse, Comet. Bernard & wife Janice Mills farmed 40 acres which is now the DM Golf & Country Club. All parde uniforms were special made by Mattie Olson of Waukee and painted by Ila (Mills) Robinson, Janice's sister. More information posted in the Heritage Musuem room.
(3) A dressing table and bench made by Hrschel Campbell for his daughter, Celia (Campbell) McNabb. People in those days made a lot of there own furniture, woden carates with adverting or any other material on hand. One of the drawers shows the advertising crate. More information posted in the Heritabe Room.
(4) Come in walk the hallway, the display cases, a transition of a variety of items from the Heritage Room. Try and guess what was the use of some of these items shown. The trophy case remains the same. We would be interested to display more other Grimes Wildcat trophies. If you have a special one, let us showcase in our display cases.
(4) This year we will not have our January Favorite Soup Day. The Committe will hold a Heritage Museum open house on January 19, 2013 between the hours of 10:00 am to 2:00 pm. Refreshments and cookies will be served.
(5) We have added to our Class Pictures, still looking for more of these to display. Also any Grimes pictures or family information you wish to bestow, we will be very pleased to showcase them on our walls.
(6) The Forest Park Museum in Perry also donated a steam operated whistle from the old canning company. The intersting fact, they had to quit using tthis whisle because it scared the horses.
(7) At this time the invenory has been completed. Dick Tarlton has been so kind as to register the inventory in computer format. Each month as new items come in,Dick will add to the listing.
(8) The Society is in need of a Secretary who would be willing to volunteer her time for our monthly meetings. The first Tuesday of each month at 9:30 a.m. Meeting are held at the Community Center room 107.
There will be more pictures to view in the near future on this web site.
Posted: 2/5/2011 11:49:17 AM
THE FAMILY HISTORY CORNER: The Society is very interested in your family history. We wish to reserve a special place in the Museum for "Grimes Family History". Also, if you have pictures that date back to the early years, they would be of much interest. We will accept copies of, or, we can have prints made and return the originals back to you.